Book Club

Options

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No bad idea Suzy

I like a change and am likley to give/recieve one of those over Christmas :)

you know something....l have my eye on a book my eldest is reading for Alevel English.....Cupcakes and Kalashnikovs....I think I'm loosing it :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Suzygirl, I'm normally an auto-biography reader and have read A lot of them over the years I have a cupboard full of them! My DIL used to ask me to right a wish list of books I would like for Christmas and every year he would buy me all of them! I do miss him. I'm not sure if I would enjoy David Walliman's book? He is a funny man, but most of that is because he goes over the top with the way he acts. And I can't see that coming across in a book? James Corden book was very funny and in parts very sad which made it a good read. To be honest since setting up Book Club I've had the chance to read different styles of book which has opened up a whole new world of books to me!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I'm very close to finishing The Ladykiller by Martina Cole and have to say I really, really enjoyed it. So yesterday I got my Kindle set up and had a play with it! I've added Before I Die . And will read that next. But I've read the up about The Snow Child and I'm afraid it's not the sort of style I would enjoy so will pass on that one. Looking forward to using the Kindle to read. It is a very clever gadget but I will not stop reading 'manual' books!
  • carole123
    carole123 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Kindles are wonderful! My house is full of real books but then I got cataracts. And a Kindle. You can make the text larger so it's dead easy to read. It's light to hold and turning 'pages' is easy (buttons at each side of the screen). Most books can be downloaded from Amazon etc within a minute or so and tend to be cheaper than hard copies. Only problems: not every book is 'Kindle-ised', and you can't lend your books out! Apart from that, really good. If you can, get one!
    XX
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Carole

my kindle is 'connected' to my daughter's ipod touch so she can read my books too and I download them from amazon for her.

I do hope you love yours as much as Carole123 and I do Bubba :D

My stepdaughter is reading before I die this month's book Bubba and is loving it (on my kindle)

must download some books for my hols :wink:

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Wanted to welcome Carol123 to Book Club look forward to reading reviews on books you have read :D . If you have any questions regarding Book Club please feel free to ask me and I will do my best to answer them!
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Maybe Carol123 would like to choose Decembers book of the month?

I have just read 2 Lisa Gardner books and really enjoyed them. Reading a John Grisham at the moment and struggling with it. Also read Jodi Picoult, Lone wolf and loved it.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Good idea suzy! See suzy's the brains behind book club! Abd I'm just the one who thought it was a good idea and got it running! :lol:

So Carol can choose the book for December

I picked up what looks like is going to be a good book from Amazon which was a 'free' book! It's called Thirst and as you've guessed is about Vampires. Will review it once I've read it.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Glad you like the idea Bubba, I didn't want you to think I was intefering :oops:

I am just reading a Richard & Judy book club book - Room by Emma Donoghue. It is about a boy who lives in a room with his Mom and is unaware of a world beyond the room. It looks good so far. I enjoy different books.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    suzygirl wrote:
    Glad you like the idea Bubba, I didn't want you to think I was intefering :oops:

I am just reading a Richard & Judy book club book - Room by Emma Donoghue. It is about a boy who lives in a room with his Mom and is unaware of a world beyond the room. It looks good so far. I enjoy different books.

I loved that book Suzy!!!! Such a clever little boy wasn't he and his MUM! wow....

I am going to brave the snow child it doesn't look 'my' type of book either but I will try (almost) anything once :)

My stepdaughter just finished 'before I die' - this months book so might add a review :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Toni, just finished the book and it was amazing!!
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi all,

Did you know that Judy Finnegan has written her first novel? Apparently it's a ghost story. The reviews aren't brilliant though.

I've just finished The Kashmir Shawl by Rosie Thomas

When clearing her deceased father's house Miar comes across a beautiful and very old Kashmir shawl and a lock of hair. Miar finds out that the shawl once belonged to her grandmother who used to be a missionary's wife in India, a lady she never knew. She decides to find out how her grandmother came to have such a very rare and valuable possession and so the story begins.

Easy to read and a nice story but not particularly gripping.

3* from me

Luv
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you lindalegs for your review, The Kashmir Shawl sounds like a book that would suit readers who enjoy a book with history through it.

suzy your my righthand girl your input for The Book Club is important. You are never intefering! I'm looking forward to your review on Room by Emma Donoghue as it sounds like would be a good read, it's a shame we have already sorted Book of the month as if it's good enough for Richard & Judys book club it would have been good enough for ours!! Nevermind.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I read room a couple of years ago and enjoyed it loads. It was pre book journal days (only bought that last Feb) so have no notes on it! I do know that it is quite a departure from the author's usual style, I tried another of her books this year and couldn't get along with it at all!

I am collecting Wife 22 from the library tomorrow and am just finishing a teenage book called "Matched". It is ok to pass the time, not as good as the hunger games though.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Room by Emma Donoghue

I have just finished this book and really enjoyed it. It is about a 5 year old boy who lives in a room and doesn't know about the world beyond it. It is extremely well written and a totally 'different' sort of book.

• bubbadog
    Options
    I've finished The Ladykiller I really enjoyed it! The fact it was very in depth in went into the mind of George is what made it for me. Also the search for the killer and the side stories of the other caracters. It kept the book interesting. The only down side was the ending, After the interest of the story keeping me wanting to read on, the end was 'flat' it didn't have the spark as the rest of the book. I've reccommend it to my friends who are going to borrow it off me! My house is like a library for my friends!!
  • lindalegs
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    I've finished The Ladykiller I really enjoyed it! ............. After the interest of the story keeping me wanting to read on, the end was 'flat' it didn't have the spark as the rest of the book. I've reccommend it to my friends who are going to borrow it off me! My house is like a library for my friends!!

What star rating would you give it Bubba taking into consideration the ending?

Luv
    Love, Legs x
  • bubbadog
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    I've finished The Ladykiller I really enjoyed it! The fact it was very in depth in went into the mind of George is what made it for me. Also the search for the killer and the side stories of the other caracters. It kept the book interesting. The only down side was the ending, After the interest of the story keeping me wanting to read on, the end was 'flat' it didn't have the spark as the rest of the book. I've reccommend it to my friends who are going to borrow it off me! My house is like a library for my friends!!
    Author:- Martina Cole

Rating:- ****

Sorry guys for not doing normal review! *Slapping own hand! Ouch :oops: *
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Reading Before I Die at the moment, finding it an easy book to read and flying through it, been reading it all weekend at this rate I will have it finished by the end of the week!
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham

A very emotive read about a very sensitive subject. For such a sad scenario I felt that the author handled it very well and there were even funny bits in it. A touching read especially when Tessa's little brother was involved.

I did enjoy this book.

4****

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmella
    Options
    Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

This book is about a 44 year old woman who takes part in an online marriage survey. It is written as a mixture of normal prose, facebook update, tweets, scripts and e mails.

It is a story of a marriage after 20 years - kids growing up, romance dwindling etc. The wife flirts with the researcher over e mail and the story goes from there.

It wasn't exactly my cup of tea. It is very american and very of its time. However it was a nice story.

For me probably ***
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you for the review Toni,
    Well it's the start of another month hope all The Book Club members are ok and making use of the long dark nights to snuggle up and read! Have a good weekend and happy reading everyone!! :D
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I have from Amazon a weekly newsletter via email and I noticed a couple of books that write up sounds good, has anyone else heard of any books recently with good write up's?
  • frogmella
    Options
    I get the Waterstones newsletter which is where I found out about the snow child, land of decoration, state of wonder, the unlikely pilgrimage of harold fry as they were all debut novels this year. I have also found a website called loverearding that recomends books and e mails me monthly. I also liked the Richard and Judy bookclub on facebook and they post their latest choices too.

My "shortlist" at the library website is now about 20 books long thanks to all these e mails I get!

The book I am reading now was on the lovereading site I think. It is called the borrower and is about a librarian who accidently kidnaps a boy. I am enjoying it - read the first 140 pages since yesterday. Will review properly when finished.

I am sure waterstones must just love that I read their recomendations and then get the books from the library! ;) haha!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Toni, I love that you have a big list of books you want to read! I put certain books and other things on a wish list on Amazon! It's not as big as yours! You really are a big reader! I love that you are, I read a lot more in the winter what with it being so cold.