DD has broken her arm

Options

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello everyone , thank you Sticky and thank you for all your lovely messages. My upper left arm and shoulder are reminiscent in size to Rafa Nadal's but, unlike his, are pasty white with a riot of blues, blacks, greens and purples. I have to offer a small correction however (I apologise, Sticky) in that my humerus is fractured rather than broken - from what I understood yesterday the upper arm bone ends in a ball shape (the bit which slots into the shoulder socket) and I have fractured the base of the ball. Twerp.

I indeed tripped over a part of the new rollator. This is a model which folds from side-to-side, this means it is self-supporting and, sideways on, looks similar to the letter L. This means that one can walk in between the two lower struts which is a better walking style BUT when you see something to one side that catches your eye you can't step towards it unless you either push the rollator away or take a step backwards. I did neither. :D We were in the Multiyork showroom, they rang me today to see how I am getting on.

On the plus side I discovered what fun gas-and-air can be - well, I was in fits of laughter. :wink: I am resting, taking my co-cos and diclos (I am trying to keep the former at six-hourly intervals so I can get some relief over all 24 hours) but would far rather have the nitrous oxide, that's far more entertaining. I have an appointment at the Fracture Clinic on Monday and was supposed to be going to the Pain Clinic on Tuesday but I will be cancelling that. I won't be able to drive for around a month which will really cramp my style. :( Mr DD is a tad grumpy with me and I am nursing myself 'cos I have a slightly better understanding of what needs to done. :wink:

I won't be around too much but that don't mean I don't care 'cos I do. I just need a little time, is all. Take care and we will speak soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Poor DD I'm so sorry to hear this. I know you're putting on a brave face but I'm sure it must be so difficult to wash and dress and do anything. Lots of big hugs and good vibes going your way.
    Many thanks to Sticky for letting us all know.
    Ritwren
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh no DD...what a month you have had... :o shoulders are so blinking painful..I do hope you can stay on top of the pain....((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,940
    Options
    Thank you Sticky
    Hello DD i'm so sorry it happened to you it's very painfull sue did it she could not have it in plaster she needs her arms being in a wheelchair.
    I hope it heals quick with out too much pain.
    ((((((((DD))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Ouch, rest up and get better soon!
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    DD ,I am so very sorry to hear what has happend ,It a terribly painful area re fracture is it any consolation its the left one ,I doubt it because any movement jarring will cause you more than a wince ,DD I know you did it in town but my o/h cheerfully asked if you were sober ...now I know you wont be offended because your often black humour shines through some of the darkest days , but sending all good wishes for a speedy recovery brave girl ....Marrianne .. not sure if hugs are ok but have em anyway ((((()))) :):)
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,149
    Options
    Oh noes :( sorry to hear this, best wishes for very speedy healing and a good appt at the fracture clinic on Monday (always the weekend isn't it, it is in my experience anyway). It could have been worse if you had tripped outside on a hard surface rather than indoors.. but of course feel free not to look at it that way.. :wink:

Like marrianne, I hope you are right-handed, but that's a small consolation and I feel your inevitable frustration - I will have a few suitably venomous-toad-like words with the fates. toady.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Well Matron DD I have volunteered myself to stand in for you at the six nations which start next week-end,I will be ready with sponge and rubbing oil :shock: you can give instructions and I will carry them out. Mig

Ps it's a dirty job but someone has to do it.
  • crabby85
    crabby85 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi DD i am sorry to read this :( I remember breaking my shoulder after a car hit me! and it was very painful, must have been same sort of place, they couldnt put it in plaster, just a sling. Its no fun :(

Get well soon xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your fracture, ouch. Fancy falling of your rollator (not that I can judge - I can fall over fresh air!) Hope it stops being painful soon and heals well. Not driving, is a right nuisance.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Sorry coming late to this but that's bad news regarding your accident DD. Hope it mends as rapidly as possible. x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    sorry to hear this stickywicket
    now dd lots of rest and help from others i say.
    put feet up and watch fav tv.
    not to much wine tho
    hope you get some relief soon .
    mike26 best wishes..
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Good to hear from you, DD. Sending healing vibes and I hope the fracture clinic goes well on Monday. It's been a bit of rough ride for you lately, eh? Here's to a better few months ahead as 2014 progresses!

We know you care, so don't worry about not being here. Just focus on yourself and we'll be thinking of you because we care too. :)
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Good to hear from you DD. Don't worry about us. Just take care off yourself and get mended quickly.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    DD on laughing gas? Oh to have been there :lol:

Sorry about the 'broken' / 'fractured' confusion. I thought 'fractured' was just med-speak for 'broken'.

I hope the bruises look prettier and the pain feels a little easier today.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,940
    Options
    Hello DD
    I hope its a bit less pain full you must feel as if your whole body is hurting. it's telling you to slow down.
    take care ((((((((DD))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD on laughing gas :o ....bless..I hope you got some sleep last night...I dislocated my shoulders many years ago and that was bad enough..Many gentile hugs coming your way...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Afternoon all, I hope you are all as well as possible - I know, impossible, yes? :wink:

I freely admit that I am struggling today. The complete lack of empathetic 'nursing' is grating but I must not get grumpy because a) he is totally unaware of the things that could be offered and b) I can't be bothered to instruct. Anyhoo it will stand me in good stead for Tuesday etc. once he's back at work. I haven't washed since Friday but will endeavour to get under the shower tomorrow before my appointment. Wardrobe is sorted, somewhere I have a Tshirt/vest effort which will be topped by a blouse worn back-to-front. Having had a successful day yesterday on rationing the pain relief (8 tablets in 24 hours is very paltry) I am now in trouble thanks to him hitting my shoulder as he turned over at 7.45am. It's only 12.30, I have 15 hours of the day to go (my first lot for today were swallowed at 3am) and only 3 tablets of the ration left! :lol: I think I will have to go back to my side of the bed so that it doesn't happen again - gawd knows how I'll get up and out because I can't use my left hand at all for purchase and shoving but it's better than having him knock it. My stomach muscles are also painful thanks to the enforced sit-ups which are currently necessary.

Marrianne? As I lay on the showroom floor, concentrating on not passing out, I pointed out to 'im indoors that it was worse because I was sober. :wink:

Speedy? Well hello Dolly! How lovely to hear from you, how are things going? How is S getting on?

I wish you all well and I send my thanks to each and every one of you. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Just dropping by to send some more positive vibes- sorry the pain is so bad to day-maybe you could fashion some manner of barrier in the middle of the bed with pillows? It's what I resorted to last summer when I had a really painful shoulder.

When my lovely daughter broke the same part of the arm (the horse she was riding ran into a large overhanging branch and deposited her on a stone sticking up on the ground) she found simple things really tricky- solutions that helped her independence included someone(mostly me) putting toothpaste on her brush ready each morning, and having a large heap of ready torn off loo roll beside the cistern- maybe you could persuade your OH to oblige this afternoon in readiness? We also found jogging bottoms the easiest for her to get on unaided-stretchy and no fastenings-not the most glamorous look in the world but practical- and we purloined a couple of over sized shirts from dad that fitted over her sling to make the top half easier to handle.

Hope your clinic appointment goes okay tomorrow, and you get some sleep tonight.

Deb x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Banish him to another bed and give you your double bed to yourself :lol: sorry you are still in so much pain, lets hope they can help tomorrow xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I owe Sticky an apology. :oops: I am very sorry, you are right and I was wrong. I've been investigating on the www. and yes, I have broken my arm and in a rather inconvenient place too (mind you, I suppose a break anywhere is always going to be inconvenient).

I am somewhat dis-heartened by what I have read but I will battle through because there is no other option. Dressing will be OK, I have many pull-on skirts and some stretchy cardigans which can be put on backwards, and now it's time for me to launch into interweb grocery deliveries. The inability to drive is going to be the hardest thing for me, to be imprisoned for so long is not a delightful prospect but at least No. 10 is more user-friendly. :wink: I shall find ways through - I'm already doing the loo roll thing (thanks for the suggestion dibdab) and can manage the toothpaste application by laying the brush down. Other hurdles will be overcome, of that I am sure. DD

PS. Villier? He won't go plus he's covered the ground floor spare bed with stuff for me to go through so I can't either! :lol:
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Options
    DD, I'm thinking of sending you a suit made out of bubble wrap for when you venture outside :D Seriously, I hope your injury heals quickly and the pain becomes a little less with each day. I broke my foot a couple of weeks ago and am in plaster - but strangely have very little pain :? Just hope that's a good sign lol. xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Sorry you are still in such a lot of pain DD. Good idea to either chase OH in to another bed or put pillows down the middle of the bed. You seem to be managing very well as you always seem to. Hope the break doesn't take too long to mend.
    Christine
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    You're wonderful DD :D

Bet you can't do the radius and ulna plus the humerous and clavical all at the same time , so boo sucks, I can, Lol However I've got osteoporosis

Nah, seriously, whatever, it's all jolly painful. Won't take too long before you're all straight and flying right

Take care x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    DD, there is always hope for the OH's. Nursing skill's can be learned even by staunchly non-compliant ones. Mine offered to bring me tea and dinner in bed the other day for the first time in 15 years!!

That makes him sound worse than he really is but I would have fallen over in shock if I hadn't already been lying down. There's hope!

The pillow barrier works well. I protect my spine and shoulders with this method from the 6'5"-stature limbs thrown my way at all hours. It also blocks ugly, cavernous breath and snoring noise as a bonus.