DD has broken her arm

Options

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,954
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello DD
    did the doc's tell you it will be 6 weeks that's how long it take's when you have it in plaster.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    How did you get on with the shopping ? Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Joan, the docs said 6 - 8 weeks for healing but that's for a 'normal' human: my arthritis has not been formally acknowledged by anyone in the fracture clinic - and why would it? That means reading the patient's notes and, as mine now comprise Volume 3 of War and Peace, I don't blame 'em. I was asked initially why I used a rollator: I resisted replying 'For fun!' :wink:

Oh Mig, it was absolutely fine! It was delivered a little early but thanks to not being able to do much of note (including escape :wink: ) I was here. He plonked the order in the kitchen and I then stowed at my leisure.

Bliss.

I will do another shop tomorrow for delivery on Thursday, not because I forgot things but a little cushion of goods won't go amiss. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,180
    Options
    I sense an online shopping convert :) I started off with Ic*l*nd when they were the only firm delivering in my area, which involved phoning in & reciting your order :shock: seems positively archaic now! Not that you want to go over to deliveries under duress, of course.

Have been following with interest sympathy & continued admiration for your hanging onto a sense of humour and translating events into a 'distinctive narrative style' (as the book reviewers would say.)

Can't help but wish you hadn't held your tongue at the drs. After a lifetime of relative politeness in these situations, I feel the day when the worm will turn is a whisker away. There have been some close calls.. Unfortunately, 'hysterical, unstable & aggressive' in one's notes is all the upshot would be.

Best wishes for some quality sleep. :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh Toady, that made oi larf! 'Hysterical, unstable & aggressive . . . ' I have some sympathy with docs who meet you maybe two or three times and that's it; how are they supposed to be fully-informed? On the day of The Long Wait (as it is now named) my chappie had a list of 30 patients a couple of whom were already 'h u & a' in the waiting room. :roll: It did strike me as a rather silly question though, seeing as how I lurched in on one stick. I replied politely by saying I had two kinds of widespread arthritis then complimented him on his tie. Be nice and you're remembered for better reasons than being shouty. (That's no. 7 from the DD Rule Book for Dealing with Docs.)

Another good night's kip was achieved although I slipped to almost horizontal; my arm is protesting now. I am deliberately thinking it will take eight weeks (more likely ten) so that when it isn't better in the allotted six etc. I won't be too miffed. (Rule 10 - increase by at least 1/4 ant time length they tell you.) The toes, ankles, knees etc. are protesting thanks to lack of overnight movement but by dint of walking round the house they are easing. I am now off to stab meself. Get in! :D DD
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Glad to hear you've had a couple of good night's sleep. I think it's a good idea to increase recovery time. At least you won't be disappointed when you're not back to 'normal' in the allotted time. Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour.
    Christine
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello DD
    I hope your arm is behaving it's self and not causing you too much pain.
    take care. ((((((((DD))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Me thinks you got off lightly DD :) and jolly good too!

When I broke my scaphoid+radius + Ulna + humerous they plastered me up to my armpit for 10 days :)

I could've auditioned for an Ealing comedy :lol:

After 10 days I was given a cast from my knuckle joints to the humerous ( not over the joint)

I thought that was that. Nah...........they removed it after 3 weeks, again after 3 weeks, then ad litem. All in all I spent 12 weeks in flippin' plaster but I did have the choice of colours. :lol:

Well you're a young filly without osteoporosis and you'll do good

Take care, that's all that's needed

Cherry x
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello DD
    how are you doing to day. how many week's is it now.
    take care ((((((((DD))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello dachshund, it's three weeks today, three rather dull weeks to be sure but Cherrybim was right, I am fortunate in that I didn't do more damage. To be honest I'm feeling a little ropy today. Hey-ho. :( It'll pass because all things do. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    And no rugby this week-end to take your mind off things :x Mig
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello DD
    I hope you feel better today pain can get you down.
    take care I think about you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you my lovely, today is not going so well but no matter, it will pass in time, all things do. I send ((( ))) to you and Sue. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've passed yet another disturbed night, this is getting me down. I'm not going to go down the drug-assisted route because most of the trouble is caused by my not moving one iota - at least I can wake from a half-sleep when things are numb and/or (in the case of the leg joints) really hurting. :roll: I don't usually move much in my sleep anyway, but at least I'm comfortably not moving because I am sleeping on my side. Sleeping sitting up though? Now I'm uncomfortably not moving. :lol: DD
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Ouch, unbearablely difficult for you :(
    Are you willing to take the stronger meds in the day, or morning at least, so you get some relief for part of the time? Then maybe try n just sit quietly for an hour or two?! (I'm so glad we have twin beds :lol:)

(((Hugs)))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Pain isn't really the problem Debbie, it's no worse than normal, it's more the not being allowed to lie down; I confess I've tried once or twice and then the arm / shoulder really hurts so it's not worth it. No matter, I'm being Xrayed again on Tuesday (woo-hoo! I get to go out!) so maybe there'll be better news about things - being able to lose the sling for a while every day may help. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    You have my sympathy. There's only one thing I hate more than the 6 week sleeping on my back after a THR and that's having to attempt to do it sitting up. I never get a remotely restful night's sleep that way and you've been doing it now for...what...three weeks? I do agree that the last thing you need to add to the mix is pain relief that will ensure you keep sleeping when stuff's gone numb or is trying to tell you to shift position for your own good. I have no answers. You're coping with this far better than I would. And in far better temper. ((((()))))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words, Sticky, they are most welcome. DD
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    DD, these things are sent to try you, and they certainly seem to be succeeding :? ((((()))))
    Keep your pecker up mate :wink:
    Take care
    Numpty
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    You certainly are coping very well DD, if it was me I would have been in a padded cell by now :lol: well done you (((()))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hello DD
    you all way's find a way around thing's. I hope you have a good night to night take care I hope it goes well on Tuesday.
    ((((((((DD))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    So last night I gave in. I slept slumped rather than dozed upright-ish, it hurt but no matter. My pain tolerance is pretty high (which is useful :wink: ) and the cocos dulled matters sufficiently which also helped. We have a lovely morning here and a friend is coming round for coffee, which will break things up in a very pleasant manner. Today could be a good 'un - she's just texted she'll be here at ten - :shock: - I'd better get on! :lol: DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Have a lovely day DD

Love
    Hileena
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Have a lovely day DD, hope the x-ray tomorrow shows some "mending" progress.

I know what you mean about sleeping upright- always makes me hurt more when my chest is really rough and I have to sit up to breathe :o . I have found that if I use lots of pillows I can make a kind of nest that supports me more upright and makes it a bit more comfortable- also has the added bonus of stopping hubby rolling too close onto tender joints!

Enjoy time with your friend.

Deb xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hope you have a good day with your friend, hope you get a small siesta this afternoon and a fairly decent sleep tonight. Fingers crossed for the x-ray tomorrow hope it shows some good mending.