Options
    Aww you enjoy your day DD..good company can lift the spirits...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hope you had a lovely time with your friend, it is nice to have good company helps keep your mind off the pain. Hope all goes well tomorrow.......Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    She stayed for two hours - I'm whacked now! We had a giggle though, a good explore of the garden (she knows a lot about plants) and then I logged on here and had my heart broken. :( Hey-ho, no matter - it'll mend in time, I just wish the rest of me would. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,954
    Options
    Hello DD
    i'm pleased your friend came to see you. I hope your arm has improved.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    DD,I hope you are continuing to mend.but WHat has broken your heart a very big one if you don't mind my saying((()))Marrianne
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Lovely that you enjoyed some time with your friend but what has happened to break your heart? (((hugs)))
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My last resort med has done what it should for someone but not me. No matter. It did for an another member, I sent them a friendly PM many moons ago, March 2013 - it's still in my outbox because they haven't been back (probably because they don't need). The arm will (eventually) heal but the arthritis? Nah. :) As I said, no matter. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    That's tough DD :( . Sometimes we have to put into words how we feel disappointed and discouraged. But maybe there's a grain of hope in so far as the research is continually finding new treatments, and maybe the one that will work for you is just around the corner............... but maybe I'm just one of those annoying folks who has to look for the glimmer of light what ever...... :?.

Hope that today is an okay one and the x ray shows healing progress.

Deb x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    DD, I hope you can get some rest and charge your battery a little today after yesterdays fun with friends. What doesn't work for one may work for another that's the way unfortunately it does go! I agree that if there is a glimmer of hope for the future you need to grab hold of it in case it is the one that may help you.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    So, I'm back. The Xrays (three of them, ow! - far too much standing still) were looking good so I was sent round to physio. I have exercises to do and another appointment with them next Tuesday at 8am. I have to return to the fracture clinic on March 18th, also bright and early - hopefully by then I will be able to drive myself there.

As regards the meds for my PsA well, I stopped hoping for that 'miracle' years ago. It hasn't happened and it won't happen - I'm too far gone with it for anything to make a difference and, once the humira stops 'working' (i.e. yielding lovely bloods) I reckon that will be it. My hospital is still trying to get itself back in the black (it has some way to go) and bods like me are a huge drain on their meagre resources. :lol: It matters not. There's a quote from a John Cleese film which runs along the lines of 'Despair? I can handle that, I can't handle hope.' and that is me to a T. There have been far too many disappointments on the drugs front during my life and I don't intend to let myself in for any more. To paraphrase a certain TV add from a few moons ago - the future's bleak, the future's pain and I'm reconciled with that. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    That's the best possible news from the fracture clinic. You've done all the right things these last few weeks, despite the difficulties, pain, hardship and relentless boredom involved and, as a result, you have reaped the benefits thereoff. Stage 2 now beckons. Exercises, the right kind of exercises and nothing but the right kind of exercises. Do not pass GO and certainly do not collect £200. You are moving on, nowhere near as quickly as you'd like, I'm sure, but the direction is spot on.

Now paragraph 2. I disagree with so much of it. OK there'll be no miracle insofar as you and PsA are joined in unholy deadlock for life. BUT there is still much to be hopeful about. I think you may be right in quoting J Cleese. Maybe hope does scare you but that's not a good enough reason to abandon it and I think it's only your current low state of mind, after weeks of broken shoulder misery, that makes you think like that.

As Starburst pointed out last week(?) there are bio-similars coming out. These will be much cheaper than the original patented meds so rules will probably ease up once that happens. There are new joints to be had, even if not immediately. They make an immense difference even if other rubbishy ones remain. Yes there's still pain. It waxes and wanes according joints needing replacing and joints replaced but getting my first TKRs was magic even though I couldn't walk at first because my ankles had packed in and even though I couldn't use crutches because my shoulders and hands wouldn't let me. I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with my orthotist who, at the end of the day, does keep me walking, but/and stuff got a lot better once my ankles and wrists fused themselves (Who needs surgeons :wink: ) I am in much less pain than I was 35 years ago before my first TKRs.

I guess for you, as for me, the future will involve pain but it won't BE pain. It will be lots of things – some good and some bad – but pain will only be one of them. Concentrate on the good things and, like Mrs Lot :wink: , don't look back. You've come a long way but there's still lots of good stuff ahead. Focus on that and keep inching towards it.

Here endeth the long, boring epistle of SW to the already converted or, to mix my metaphors completely, this is how you suck eggs, Grandma :oops:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    She's right you know :wink:
    ((((()))))
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for your time and patience, Sticky - and yes, Numpty, I know she's right - that makes it worse! :lol: I am a complete Mrs Edna Gloombucket at the moment and determined to remain so: it'll be a miracle if I don't trip over my lower lip. :wink: I attribute this general decline of mood and usual buoyant optimism ( :lol: ) to frustration with myself, 'im indoors, pain from toes to neck, lack of reasonable-quality sleep and - dare I say it - boredom. It will pass, all things do, but for the time being I wanna sulk, then once more I shall scale the dizzying heights of being moderately grotty. DD
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    nothing is last resort DD as long as the world keeps turning, ...
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,954
    Options
    Hello DD
    i'm pleased your arm/ shoulder were improving you have been good and done the right things.
    ((((((((DD))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Glad to hear the x ray results were positive :D

Deb x
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi DD,

U haven't heard of the biologic I'm gona be starting soon so I'd assume uve not tried it ... So you do have other avenues to try still as SW has said :wink: Can you even imagine only being injected once every 12 weeks by a BUPA Nurse in the comfort of ure own home? :lol::wink:

Fab news from the fracture clinic :D Please don't over do the exercises in ure excitement :shock:

I'm not surprised you wish to sulk, I would too. I'd have thrown myself a daily pity party in fact!!

(((Hugs)))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Aww DD, SW has said it all (((()))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    Great news about the X Rays
    OK.......wallow for a while but as you would tell us....not too long :wink:

Lots of love
    Hileena
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi DD,

Good news re. the X-rays :)

As to the other stuff, it's natural to be feeling a bit low about things. Living with arthritis takes up a lot of energy, so to cope with a broken limb on top of that is going to be seriously hard work! But it *will* pass, just as you say.

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    OK, OK, I get the message - I am not allowed to grump, end of. :)

I am very aware that things are now more complicated on the arm / shoulder front. In the past three weeks movement has not been that easy but (as my ortho bod explained) I've entered that grey area of recovery where, getting the muscles to work without exacerbating the 'Bermuda triangle' of bone which could still slip and cause impingement and ergo possible surgery, is my new norm. I am treading that fine line of working the joint to keep the shoulder mobile without making things worse. Hmmm - so normal service has been resumed. :lol: I will treat myself tonight - bed without the sling and lying flatter than recently: my back is protesting (as is my neck) but, I solemnly vow, that if I wake up in pain with the arm / shoulder I shall resume the 'sitting up so you can't sleep' position ASAP so that my other joints can protest to keep me awake. Utter bliss.

The shoulder etc. can be 'fixed' (he warned me that I may end up with OA in that joint, Oh God no, :( really? :shock: Yer don't say :lol: ) The rest of me, however, can't. So what? You lot can be as optimistic for me as you wish but don't expect me to join in. I am still waiting to be pleasantly surprised by something other than pred - yeah, as if :) I'm off to do my exercises for the third and final time. Normal DD service will be resumed tomorrow or maybe the day after. I've moaned enough.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Dear Mrs. Gloombucket;

You are doing great. Hang in there, even if one-armed at the moment. You'll get through even if with teeth gritted....then, you and beatrice will be off on your usual adventures.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi you grump mare :wink:
    Keep going in the usual DD way and you'll get there :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Good news about the xrays. I think Sticky said it all though. I'm not surprised you are grumpy at the moment but, as you say, you will get back to your usual self eventually.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh my word; I send my thanks to the latest respondents - my eyes are (somewhat annoyingly) leaking. I know why, read the third paragraph.

Anna! You mentioned the 'B' word :) - today I endured another very bumpy ride in her courtesy of a bloke who is not naturally endowed with 'drive-ability' but can grip a steering wheel :lol: I miss Beatrice (and what she gives) very much but that will return.

When we moved I discovered the natural 'high' of a positive change in circumstance because No. 10 has everything that 202 lacked for an arthritic, ergo I reduced my anti-deps; I was sure that the natural high was enough. Silly moo - I didn't react meds-wise when I broke my arm - silly moo squared. :) Chemically things will get better, promise! DD